The Geek Goddess Show Episode 3: Virtual Worlds & NetBash
May 29, 2008 by SGE
The 3rd episode of the Geek Goddess show is out. Do take a look and send us your feedback on the Geek Goddess Show website. This episode centers on virtual worlds in China, with a little mention of the Singapore company, First Meta, and our friend, Bjorn Lee, co-founder of E27. We also have our friend, Daniel Cerventus, across the causeway to share with us what he thinks of the web 2.0 scene in Malaysia and the difference with Singapore. You can also check out my own production notes here. Of course, as usual, my thanks to Podfire for the support, and the hard work put in by the hosts: Estee and Peter and co-producer, Michael.
1) Virtual World Roundup: Hipihi, Novoking and UOneNet
- Distinguish the virtual worlds: (i) worlds with no purposes – 2nd Life vs (ii) gaming worlds like World of Warcraft which coveted 80% of the market.
- Useful facts and statistics for the news: HiPiHi: 48,000 registered users, NovoKing: 10,000 registered users while UOneNet: <1,000. By comparison, Second Life has 13.5 million “residents.” One thing to note is that all three are still in their private beta.
- Talk about the differences in thinking between US and China virtual world creators: for example, Xu Hui sees the virtual worlds as a 3D version of web browser for the future.
- Virtual world for kids – Penguin Club (http://www.penguinclub.com).
- Commerce on virtual worlds – featuring First Meta (http://firstmeta.com).
2) Interview with Daniel Cerventus Lim.
- Co-founder of Ideapreneur (http://ideapreneur.net).
- Supporting orgasnisation of NetBash – a fringe event at the WCIT.
- Are we too China focused in our content?
- Email you comments / feedback to email@example.com
For more info, do visit our website: http://thegeekgoddess.tv
Find out more about SGE’s research arm: SGE Insights, providing customized in-depth research reports to help you navigate the business of technology in Asia.
About The Author
SGE - (SGE)
Covering the Singapore and Southeast Asia startup and entrepreneurship scene since 2005.Read other posts by SGE