Workshop: Winning Angels and Angel Investing Legal Standards 101
August 29, 2012 by SGE
This full day session is split into two workshops: Winning Angels and Angel Investing Legal Standards 101. The first workshop aims to provide an insight into the mindsets of angel investors and equip participants with powerful and practical fund raising strategies, useful tips to win angel investors and avoid common entrepreneur pitfalls. The second workshop aims to provide an overview of the legal standards commonly used by experienced angels for early stage venture investing. It will impart basic knowledge on the key terms used in deal documents and understand valuation methods. BANSEA (Business Angel Network Southeast Asia) Board Director, Dr Wong Poh Kam and BANSEA Deputy Chairman Wong Meng Weng will be the trainers for this full day session.
• Understand the early stage fund raising process & investors’ thought processes
• Learn the ways to be investor-ready
• Gain insights about things that turn off an investor
• Looking for the right angel investor for you
• Take-away strategies for raising funds and closing the deal
Details of topics:
Morning: Winning Angels
• What do early stage Angel Investors look for?
• Overview of the venture investment process, and the role of angel investors
• What are Angel Investors looking for?
• What turn them off?
• Are you investor-ready?
• Key Elements of an Investible Venture
• The 3Cs, 3Hs and 3Ss
• Essential Elements of Business Plan
• Funding Requirements & Fund Raising Strategies
• Getting the Funding from Angels
• Looking for the right angel investors
• Making The Pitch
• Negotiating Strategies
• Pitfalls in pitching to investors
Afternoon: Angel Investing Legal Standards 101
• Deal Structure
- To learn to structure a deal
- To understand the legal framework
- Overview of various contractual documents (term sheet, investment agreement, shareholder agreement etc.)
- To understand valuation methods and financial tools
- Role Play
Prof Wong Poh Kam, Board Director of BANSEA
Prof. Wong Poh Kam is a Professor at the NUS Business School and also the founding director of NUS Entrepreneurship Centre, where he oversees the development of entrepreneurship education programs at NUS as well as the nurturing of spin-offs by NUS professors and students through schemes like the NUS Incubator and NUS Venture Support seed funding schemes. He initiated the annual StartUp@Singapore national business plan competition in 1999. He was a co-founder of 3 companies in Malaysia before joining NUS in 1988, and has been active in angel investing in Singapore, Silicon Valley India and China.
His current angel investment portfolio includes iWow, Anacle Systems, GameVenture & Kai Square in Singapore, Invantest and Appyzoo in US, and Teralene and PineTree Senior Care in China. His recent exits include Globalroam (first company quoted on Singapore’s OTC market), tenCube (acquired by McAfee in 2010) and iXigo (India, recently acquired). He is the founding chairman of Business Angel Network (Southeast Asia) and the founding chairman of BAF Spectrum, an angel investment fund co-invested by Singapore Government’s SPRING Business Angel Scheme (BAS). He holds two BSc’s, an MSc and a PhD from MIT, and was a Fulbright Scholar at UC Berkeley and visiting scholar at Stanford University.
Mr Wong Meng Weng, Deputy Chairman of BANSEA
Wong Meng Weng is a serial entrepreneur and angel investor with 15 years’ experience in Internet messaging infrastructure startups. A graduate of the University of Pennsylvania (SEAS ’97), He has co-founded successful startups in Philadelphia and Silicon Valley. He now lives and works in Singapore on early-stage venture incubation at JFDI.Asia. He has mentored a number of early-stage startups in Singapore who all needed similar paperwork.
When: Thursday 27 September 2012
Time: 8:30am – 5:00pm
Where: Plug-In@Blk 71, Blk 71 Ayer Rajah Crescent, #02-18, Singapore 139951
Find out more about SGE’s research arm: SGE Insights, providing customized in-depth research reports to help you navigate the business of technology in Asia.
About The Author
SGE - (SGE)
Covering the Singapore and Southeast Asia startup and entrepreneurship scene since 2005.Read other posts by SGE