Melbourne-based tech start-up incubator BlueChilli has announced plans to expand to the United States and Southeast Asia, which will follow the impending opening of its Sydney incubator this year, reported StartupSmart. Read more
Many of you would be familiar with HardwareZone, a popular tech media company that was bought by Singapore Press Holdings for S$7.1 million (US$5.8 million) in 2006. Read more
A 100-day startup accelerator program called East Ventures Alpha will open for registration in August 2011. The first run will last from September to November in South Jakarta, Indonesia, although this initiative is not just restricted to startups from that area. Read more
“Blk71″ aims to be the next big thing for startups in the interactive digital media sector. An incubation programme set up by the Media Development Authority, SingTel Innov8 and NUS Enterprise, Blk71 is based in the west of Singapore at the new media hub, Mediapolis Phase 0. Space, events, funding are all part of the Blk71 equation.
According to the press release, it is “designed to allow startups to gain one-stop access to the resources they need to effectively develop and market their solutions to customers.” Read more
European seed fund, Seedcamp held its first Mini Seedcamp in Singapore last month. 20 startups from 7 different countries pitched, out of which, there were 3 winners. These 3 teams will be heading to London next to join the main event, Seedcamp Week, where they will get a shot at getting funding from Seedcamp of €50K (SGD 88K). Read more
The Small World Group, managed by Frank Levinson and his partner, Dean Haritos, is one of the seven designated technology venture incubators from the National Research Foundation (NRF) TIS Scheme. The technology focus of this company is on clean tech, optics and materials and it has begun operations in Singapore to start working with entrepreneurs to bring new tech companies to market. We sat down with Frank Levinson, one of the partners in Small World Group and chat with him on several subjects, from how he started Small World Group to the type of entrepreneurs which the incubator will be interested to fund. He will also share some of the earlier success stories he has with regards to incubation of tech companies and talks about the future plans of the Small World Group in Singapore. Read more
In another move by the government to make up for the dearth of funds in Singapore, the National Research Foundation has issued a Call for Proposal for the new Technology Incubation Scheme (TIS). Modeled after Israel’s Technological Incubator Programme, NRF will co-invest up to 85% or S$0.5 million per startup, with an appointed incubator investing the rest (at least 15% of the total investment). Read more